Notifications
Clear all

installation failed with debian-10.0-powerpc-NETINST-1  

RSS

wnlewis
(@wnlewis)
Eminent Member
22/06/2020 2:01 am  

I just tried to install with debian-10.0-powerpc-NETINST-1 on my Sawtooth 32 bit AGP G4. The drive I selected is a 300 Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 that I formatted with disk utility under 10.4.11 into 3 equally sized volumes.

The hard disk goes through an ATA to SATA adapter and through an SATA card in a PCI slot. So the computer sees the hard drive as a SCSI drive.

I have done this for two reasons: 1.) The PCI bus does not have the LBA limitation of the IDE bus, and 2.) the PCI bus is faster. So, I can use Samsung 1 Tb and larger EVO 840 drives in my computer. They use much less power, make almost no heat, and are almost as fast as RAM.

I chose the HFS+ Journaled for each volume.

I installed OS 10.5.8 on the second volume. I used a different hard drive to put a copy of the install image for 10.5.4 on the third volume.

The first volume was left just as an empty HFS+ Journaled volume.

I partitioned per your instructions except that I allocated 2.0 Gb for the swap file.

I preseeded per your instructions.

Everything went well till almost the end of the process of installing the base software and everything else. When the process finished - over a half hour of time - it gave me a red screen and said that the software had failed to install properly.

Nothing I tried would let me unscramble the mess and either figure out why the software did not install correctly, or have a chance to try the process a second time.

I think I need to find someone who can walk me through this process step by step.

I plan to reformat the 300 Gb drive - which is not usable right now - and start over.

To this point, I have tried to install some form of Linux, more than 10 times with very limited success.

The best success was from a Ubuntu live CD that did install and worked one time. When I shut it down and then tried to use the option key to choose to reboot into Ubuntu, I could see the button that represented the Ubuntu partition, but could not boot into it, or the Macintosh volumes either.

I had to do Command + Option + P + R to erase the PRAM and then the computer booted into Macintosh. The drive that had Ubuntu on it had to be reformatted.

I have also tried to use an older copy - with 13 disks and a manual - of Debian 8 for PowerPC. That also failed, although it supposedly installed successfully. The Linux volume was not visible when I booted and held down the Option key. That volume essentially was not visible. So I had to reformat that drive.

Thank you for any help you may have to offer. Additionally, if you know someone who you would recommend, I would be interested.

Best regards,

Neal Lewis

P.S. I can send screen shoots of the partition arrangement using iPartion before trying to install Linux again if you would like. Unfortunately, the partition manager of Linux is unwieldy and doesn't provide much information, such as what's in a partition - which means the novice can make very bad mistakes. WNL

admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
22/06/2020 12:34 pm  

I admire your perseverance, but I can't walk you through. We are in different time zones. You are in the US somewhere and I am in the Netherlands.

ReplyQuote
wnlewis
(@wnlewis)
Eminent Member
22/06/2020 4:59 pm  

I will keep you abreast and also try on the MacRumors PowerPC Linux Wiki - which I think is a lot of your work but has other people in different time zones. My home is in Newton, Kansas, 180 miles south and west of Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas, and about 25 miles north of Wichita, Kansas, (where probably 50% or more of the world's commercial and light airplanes are made).

I will also send you screen shots of the partitions by both iPartition and the partition application in the MintPPC installer.

Best regards,

Neal Lewis

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
22/06/2020 5:27 pm  

It would be helpful to see the logfile. In the installer there is an option to turn on a webserver to make the logfile accessible over your local network. Do that and try to get this logfile. If you have it contact me via mail.

Try to get a US based guy in Macrumors Forums to walk you through. 

ReplyQuote
wnlewis
(@wnlewis)
Eminent Member
22/06/2020 5:34 pm  

I will try to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Best regards,

Neal Lewis

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
22/06/2020 6:06 pm  

What kind of graphics card is in there? ATI Rage might be problematic.

ReplyQuote
wnlewis
(@wnlewis)
Eminent Member
24/06/2020 5:45 pm  

ATY,Rage128Pro

From, about this Mac

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
25/06/2020 8:23 am  

I found the problem today. Do not try anything for this moment as some package is corrupt. I will have to look into this. I will let you know when it is fixed.

ReplyQuote
wnlewis
(@wnlewis)
Eminent Member
26/06/2020 9:04 am  

Thank you for finding that problem.

Do you have any more ideas about the possible need for a proprietary driver for the ATI Rage 128 Pro video card?

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
26/06/2020 9:24 am  

There is no proprietary driver for ATI Rage 128 Pro. You will have to use the driver which I added to the MintPPC repo, which is called xserver-xorg-video-r128. I hope that it will work.

ReplyQuote
wnlewis
(@wnlewis)
Eminent Member
27/06/2020 8:45 am  

@admin

Posted by: @admin

I found the problem today. Do not try anything for this moment as some package is corrupt. I will have to look into this. I will let you know when it is fixed.

Have you been able to fix the problem?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
27/06/2020 1:22 pm  

Yes, the package has been fixed now. I encountered another problem now, which I cannot fix myself. I will explain this in the comments section of ´New Installation Instructions´.

ReplyQuote
Share: