Notifications
Clear all

MintPPC in AmigaOne X5000  

RSS

Reksa
(@reksa)
14/11/2020 3:48 pm  

Hi!

I have been testing MintPPC (32-bit) in my AmigaOne X5000 (with QorIQ P5020 cpu). Boots and works nicely in this environment :-). Booting of Linux is quite different from e.g. Macs, but I was able to use the kernels etc. already available for this machine. From the MintPPC Live USB image I needed to take just the 'root' partition, and boot it like any other distro available for this machine (Ubuntu 16, Fienix etc.).

Now, a couple questions...

1) VLC does not start at all. I get this error message:

~$ vlc
VLC media player 3.0.11.1 Vetinari (revision 3.0.11.1-0-g52483f3ca2)
Illegal instruction

What might be wrong...? Has that VLC been compiled so that it needs Altivec (which is NOT present in P5020)? An earlier version (3.0.4) of VLC works ok in Ubuntu and Fienix.

2) Does the 64-bit version of MintPPC need Altivec? When I tried to boot it, I did not even get the login screen. My attempt to run LightDM after I had logged in manually from terminal prompt was also unsuccesful.

admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
15/11/2020 1:02 pm  

Hi Reksa!

Welcome to MintPPC. I tried vlc on my iBook G4 and it works normally. I had a look in the build configuration of vlc-3.0.11 and it appears that for powerpc vlc was built with altivec enabled. But it was the same in 3.0.4.

-------------------------------------------------

# PowerPC specific optimizations (excluding powerpcspe)
ifeq (,$(filter-out powerpc,$(DEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU))$(filter powerpcspe,$(DEB_HOST_ARCH)))
confflags += --enable-altivec
else
confflags += --disable-altivec
removeplugins += altivec
endif

---------------------------------------

You can try older versions of vlc in snapshot.debian.org. I can also try to compile a version of 3.0.11 without altivec.

I think that ppc64 Debian uses altivec as optimization. Correct me if I am wrong.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by admin

ReplyQuote
Reksa
(@reksa)
15/11/2020 4:52 pm  
Posted by: @admin

Hi Reksa!

Welcome to MintPPC. I tried vlc on my iBook G4 and it works normally. I had a look in the build configuration of vlc-3.0.11 and it appears that for powerpc vlc was built with altivec enabled. But it was the same in 3.0.4.

-------------------------------------------------

# PowerPC specific optimizations (excluding powerpcspe)
ifeq (,$(filter-out powerpc,$(DEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU))$(filter powerpcspe,$(DEB_HOST_ARCH)))
confflags += --enable-altivec
else
confflags += --disable-altivec
removeplugins += altivec
endif

---------------------------------------

You can try older versions of vlc in snapshot.debian.org. I can also try to compile a version of 3.0.11 without altivec.

I think that ppc64 Debian uses altivec as optimization. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, Altivec seems to be by default on in VLC, but the author of Fienix has X5000 and thus he has turned it off, fortunately. But does the default VLC work in G3 machines? I think those did not have Altivec, either.

If you indeed you coud try to compile the vlc 3.0.11 without altivec, that would be great!-) I can test it and report how it works here...

I'm not sure how it is in the current Debian 64-bit, but I think Fienix is 64-bit (at least kernel support is 64-bit, don't know whether other parts can still be 32-bit ?) and it is also based on Debian. And also the 64-bit Debian 9 worked in X5000, but it had too much problems, e.g. with the WWW-browsers.

ReplyQuote
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
15/11/2020 7:00 pm  

Fienix, if I remember well, has a 64-bits kernel but has a 32-bits userland. This is also an option in ubuntu and older versions of debian.

G3 does not have altivec, so I guess that stock VLC will not work on a G3.

I will compile vlc without altivec for you. I will keep you updated.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by admin

ReplyQuote
Share: